THE SALMON OF RANDEANA


Randeana is a student of the  of the Vancouver Island University, Course Food & Culture, Anthropology Department. I met her on November 7th and I stayed with her only a few minutes. The time with her has been as short as intense and emotional.
She is a First Nation, belonging to the Coast Salish People.
She told me to have been really impressed by the words of my speech regarding the autenticity of foods of every culture and how important is to save them. She used a strong phrase. She said: I have been inspired by you.
She gave me the jar of the photo, explaining that it contains a salmon cured according to an old recipes of her tribe. 
I felt the warmth of tears coming up to my eyes. I was busy in the kitchen and I could not stay with her longer. I feel sorry for that: I should have stayed longer with her, listen to her and also take note of the recipes of her people.
I was not even able to ask her for the recipe. The one you see below was given to me by Chef Christine and Chef Jenny. 
I hope to see Randeana again.

SNUNEYMUXW SMOKED SALMON 

For the rub:
1 Cup of brown sugar
1/2 Cup of kosher salt
1/4 Cup of ground pepper
10 lb salmon

Mix the ingredients for the rub and spread the mixture over the salmon. Marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours than smoke it.

THANK YOU RANDEANA!

Comments